Crash Dump (and not your Program-type)
HellraiserHKS
2008-04-06 13:07:00 UTC
Recently, my computer just got an BSOD. I'm concerned about what is it. Is it
my drivers or what? Its not normal for my computer to have a BSOD.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium x86 (though my processor is a x64
(Intel Pentium D 825))

I tried using windbg but it didn't seem to help me any. I'm trying to get
the first few lines of my BSOD to see what caused it. Also, if it helps, I
installed a new driver for my nVidia card. Anyways, continuing on.

When I use windbg, and point it to my crash dump, it said specificaly that I
don't have the right symbols. Alright, I downloaded Windows Vista SP1 RTM's
x86 symbols. Nothing. My computer is an eMachines T5224 (came with Vista by
default, I installed SP1 when it was released on microsoft.com).

Mind to tell me how do I open this .dmp file so I can see what caused the
crash?
Andre Kaufmann
2008-04-12 06:12:53 UTC
Post by HellraiserHKS
Recently, my computer just got an BSOD. I'm concerned about what is it. Is it
my drivers or what? Its not normal for my computer to have a BSOD.
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium x86 (though my processor is a x64
(Intel Pentium D 825))
I tried using windbg but it didn't seem to help me any. I'm trying to get
the first few lines of my BSOD to see what caused it. Also, if it helps, I
installed a new driver for my nVidia card. Anyways, continuing on.
When I use windbg, and point it to my crash dump, it said specificaly that I
don't have the right symbols. Alright, I downloaded Windows Vista SP1 RTM's
x86 symbols. Nothing. My computer is an eMachines T5224 (came with Vista by
default, I installed SP1 when it was released on microsoft.com).
Mind to tell me how do I open this .dmp file so I can see what caused the
crash?
You should execute the following steps:

1) Load the crash dump

2) Use the command .symfix [local_storage_path] to use the Microsoft
symbol server.
(There should be a command line starting with "kd>")

E.g. if you want to store your symbols on drive d: in directory
symbols use:

.symfix d:\symbols

or alternatively:

.symfix+ d:\symbols

to add the path to your current symbols paths.

WinDbg will then use the Microsoft symbol server and load the
necessary symbols on demand.

3) Enter .reload to reload symbols, if necessary

4) Enter: !analyze -v
to get a detailed analysis of the crash dump

Hope this helps.

Andre