From VC6 to VC 2008 : debugging with additional DLL
Frederic Forjan
2009-04-22 13:36:29 UTC
Hello all,

With VC6, in debug, we can set additional DLL to load at startup and set
breakpoint in this DLL by configuring the project setttings, Debug tab
and select additionnal DLL category.

We have started to move to VC 2008 and we don't find these feature...
It is remove or available in other menu ?

Best regards,
Frédéric
David Lowndes
2009-04-22 15:54:21 UTC
Post by Frederic Forjan
With VC6, in debug, we can set additional DLL to load at startup and set
breakpoint in this DLL by configuring the project setttings, Debug tab
and select additionnal DLL category.
We have started to move to VC 2008 and we don't find these feature...
It is remove or available in other menu ?
Frédéric,

It's become redundant, newer versions are smarter and *should* just
work without doing anything if the debug information is available for
the DLL.

Dave
Frederic Forjan
2009-04-22 17:24:38 UTC
Post by David Lowndes
Post by Frederic Forjan
With VC6, in debug, we can set additional DLL to load at startup and set
breakpoint in this DLL by configuring the project setttings, Debug tab
and select additionnal DLL category.
We have started to move to VC 2008 and we don't find these feature...
It is remove or available in other menu ?
Frédéric,
It's become redundant, newer versions are smarter and *should* just
work without doing anything if the debug information is available for
the DLL.
Dave
But in this case, how can we put some breakpoint inside these DLL before
starting the application ?

Frédéric
Nathan Mates
2009-04-22 19:12:37 UTC
Post by Frederic Forjan
Post by David Lowndes
It's become redundant, newer versions are smarter and *should* just
work without doing anything if the debug information is available for
the DLL.
But in this case, how can we put some breakpoint inside these DLL before
starting the application ?
If you built the dll on the same machine, and have generated .pdb
files, then a breakpoint in the source code will be auto-inserted by
DevStudio when that dll loads. To do/check this, right click on your
dll project (NOT the solution, but the project entries in the solution
explorer), and get properties. Go to Configuration Properties ->
C/C++, and ensure that 'Debug Information Format' is set to 'Program
Database' or 'Program Database for Edit & Continue'. (The former makes
sense for release builds, the latter for debug builds.) Also, look at
Configuration Properties -> Linker -> Debugging, and make sure that
'Generate Debug Info' is set to yes, and you're generating a program
database file.

Once you have built your dll with the above settings, (1) in the
Visual Studio .sln you use to run your exe, open up the .c/.cpp/.h
file(s) you want to put breakpoints on. (2) Put a breakpoint on the
line(s) you want (F9 if you have the VC++6 keyboard shortcuts), (3)
Run the .exe. Obviously, if you run debug, it's easier to debug.

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates - personal webpage http://www.visi.com/~nathan/
# Programmer at Pandemic Studios -- http://www.pandemicstudios.com/
# think. What are the facts, and to how many decimal places?" -R.A. Heinlein
Rong-Chun Zhang [MSFT]
2009-04-23 10:05:45 UTC
Hello Frederic,

Apart from Dave and Nathan's valuable input, I would share some more
information with you.

With Visual Studio, we can set a breakpoint at a specified function(need
symbol files, for example
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wztycb7f.aspx) . If we press
Ctrl+B(by default) in Visual Studio, the New Breakpoint dialog shows and
this dialog allow us to specify a breakpoint at a function. To show the New
Breakpoint dialog, we can also select "Debug" -> "New Breakpiont" ->
"Break at Function..". More information, please check:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ktf38f66.aspx

Best regards,
Rongchun Zhang (v-***@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

***@microsoft.com.

Rong-Chun Zhang [MSFT]
2009-04-27 10:07:39 UTC
Hello Frederic,

Have you got any progress on this issue? If there is anything else we can
help, welcome to post here.

Detlef Jablonski
2009-04-27 10:25:02 UTC
Post by Rong-Chun Zhang [MSFT]
Hello Frederic,
Have you got any progress on this issue? If there is anything else we can
help, welcome to post here.
Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support
Hello Rong-Chu, sorry for forgetting a reply.
Problem is completely solved. Thanks to all for your help.